Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Journal #25: My Vocabulary History

Assess your own vocabulary.

What are your strong points; what are your weak points when it comes to the trait of Word Choice in your writing and reading?
Each time I read a book, I look up the defenitions of words I nerver or rarely heard of. This, for me, is a strong point in learning a new vocabulary. From there I pertain that knowledge and everything comes naturally (a good book keeps me reading until the end.) My weak point is using new words I learn and pertain them in my everyday writing and language.

Describe how you have studied vocabulary in the past. What kinds of class activities and assignments have you experienced to work on your word choice?
Describe how you, personally, learn new words. Give a specific example of how you have learned a new word recently.

In middle school, there was a program called Accelerated Reader. At least two books were mandatory to be read for each quarter and it affected our grade greatly. After we read, we had to take a quiz in the library and our score was determined by how we knew the book well. In class, we compare "well exceeds" and "okay" writing. Like I said before, reading books increases my vocabulary.

What are your specific vocabulary/word choice goals? How many new words would you like to learn this semester? What will be your evidence that you “own them” and can use them in your speaking and writing?
For this semester, I would like to use words I don't normally use in my everday language and/or essays such as the words, "etiquette" or "magnitude." There is no limit in learning the new vocabulary. When I trust that I truly know the word, that is when I will start using them. No doubt.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Desiree,
    You're right about reading being the best way to learn new vocabulary.
    I would suggest, however, that instead of waiting until you are completely confident of a word, that you try it out earlier. That is the point of our work with the trait of word choice and it will "accelerate" your vocabulary growth quite a bit to make use of the chance to practice and stretch your word choice wings :)
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete