Friday, January 28, 2011

Allusion Poem and Graphic (FINAL)



The Beauty of It All
There’s no doubt
that bird watching
is a favorite pastime of mine

Nature and solitude
are my escape
They bring a sense of peace and serenity to my inner self

As an athlete,
competitiveness
drives me and provides the
resolve needed to achieve a personal best

Autonomous. Boyish. And young at heart.

My love for animals
has never changed,
but has evolved greatly over the years

From being a toddler and learning their names
to growing as a young adult who cares for animals of her own,
I will continue my duty to watch over them
For they are my lifelong comrades

1 comment:

  1. Learning about Greek gods/goddesses and myths kinda inspired me to start early and begin searching for who I wanted to do my allusion poem on. I even took online quizzes to see which goddess I’m related to as far as character and personality traits. Artemis, Persephone, Hestia, and Athena were ones that came up so often. Luckily I have a friend in college who took a mythology class and she suggested I do the poem on Artemis, since she’s fairly athletic and pretty much a nature girl.

    Hmm…writing the poem was fun and at the same time, challenging. Most of Artemis’ character traits were relevant to mine. That was the fun part -- relating myself to a goddess. It was difficult for me to summarize and “show, not tell” who my allusion was and at the same time, keeping ‘me’ in it. I wasn’t really aiming for my poem to rhyme. It really takes time and creativity for me to do all that. My main approach, however, was to have a central focus in each stanza. I also gave my poem a title. “The Beauty of It All” is what I called it because it’s mainly about nature and as the person I am, I take the time to observe animals from a different point of view, hence bird watching.

    I didn’t have recent photos of me digitally, but I had actual photos in which I scanned. One of them, I used in my graphic. That photo was taken during one of my cross country races this past season. And it’s one I like because it showed good running posture and it didn't have that am-tired-of running-look. Since I was running on a track, I had to use the lasso and eraser tool to make it so the graphic looked like I was running on a pathway. I also used a filter and brushed over the graphic with a somewhat peach color to give it a slight sepia look. I chose to include “nature and solitude are my escape…” since it matched my graphic well and it’s one of the key hints of my allusion.

    From writing this poem, I gained insight. I felt somewhat relieved to be writing about some things people don’t actually know about me -- like running or being one with nature or why I prefer solitude over huge crowds. What may be my hobbies now, might be my passion somewhere down the road. Ummm…I also thought that finding who my goddess archetype was and comparing myself to her was pretty neat. I can say I appreciate the world by what it gives us. To me, the simplest of things that people overlook today are what catch my interest.

    ReplyDelete